November 6, 2014

How We Made Our Europe Trip Affordable -- Flights

And now, for the first time on this blog, Dr. Reed himself! Let's give him a nice warm welcome, folks! This is the first post in his series on how we traveled to Europe in lush style for two weeks at an incredibly affordable price. Enjoy, comment and share!


Hello! So the last little bit, Sarah and I have been to a lot of new places. Let me start by saying that while growing up, we didn't vacation much. Okay, we never went on vacation. It can be expensive and my parents needed to work a lot. In fact, besides driving my brother to the Provo MTC from Seattle, our last family vacation was driving to Nauvoo in 1989. Mom made sandwiches in the car, we got the brick and the horseshoe, and we avoided driving through Kansas (ask my dad).

 I like beaches. A lot. Even rocky ones. (Nice, France)

Traveling to new places is really exciting to me. Probably, because I feel like I have so much I haven’t seen and I especially love beaches. But…travel can be expensive. Even small trips made a sizable dent in my accounts. A few years ago, while in graduate school, I was traveling more to conferences and I got excited about how many miles I was earning with United Airlines, Alaska Airlines, and Hilton Hotels. 18 months ago, I found some blogs and started learning more about how to travel to all corners of the earth, in style, for a fraction of the cash cost published by travel providers.

We recently took a two week trip to Europe. It was a blast! Sarah has already talked about the places we visited. But just so you know, she picked where in Europe we went the first week and I picked the second week’s destinations. I really wanted to go to the French Riviera and Barcelona. So using the miles and points guidance I got from the blogs, I made it happen. I’m going to write more about How We Paid for Hotels in Europe in a future post. But this is how I bought our flights:

First time on Lufthansa (Boston Airport)


Outbound Flights
Boston (BOS) to Frankfurt (FRA)
Frankfurt (FRA) to Paris (CDG)

Lufthansa
Lufthansa
“Open Jaw” Return Flights
Barcelona (BCN) to Frankfurt (FRA)
Frankfurt (FRA) to Boston (BOS)

Lufthansa
Lufthansa
“Stopover” in Boston
Boston (BOS) to San Francisco (SFO)
San Francisco (SFO) to Kahului, Maui (OGG)

United
United

Cash Price
$3,140.81 per person
United MileagePlus Miles Price
62,500 miles per person + $128.30 taxes and fuel surcharges. (Note: price to Europe was 60,000 miles, adding Maui was another 2,500 miles)


So the trip cost us 125,000 United miles. That would take a ton of time and cost if we were to earn miles simply by sitting in the seat flying. However, there are tons of other ways to earn MileagePlus miles. Here is how we got the miles we needed for each ticket:


Thomas’ Ticket (62,500 Miles)
35,000 United Miles

27,500 United Miles

United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card (35,000 Mile Sign-Up Bonus after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months)
Transferred from Chase Ultimate Rewards Points (Partner Transfer)

Sarah’s Ticket (62,500 Miles)
28,000 United Miles
34,500 United Miles

Mileage Plus miles earned from flying on United Airlines 2011-2013
Transferred from Chase Ultimate Rewards Points (Partner Transfer)


Nice. Nice is Nice.


How in the world did we get 62,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards Points?

40,000 UR Points
Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card (40,000 Points Sign-Up Bonus after spending $2,500 in the first 6 months)
7,000 UR Points
Chase Freedom and Sapphire Preferred Bonus Category spending (1 to 4 bonus points per dollar)
15,000 UR Points
Normal spending on Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire Preferred at 1 point per dollar.

My Chase UR points could be redeemed for 1 cent each (or $630), but by redeeming for international travel I got much more for each of those points. If you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink Card, you can transfer UR points from any Chase card to select airlines, hotels, and train company loyalty programs--United Airlines included.

As a side note, we also purchased a flight from London (LGW) to Nice (NCE) on British Airways for $159 per person after taxes. The cost was pretty low so it made more sense to book these tickets with cash. So all totaled we got all 7 of our flight segments worth $6,600 on “the street” for an out-of-pocket cost of about $580. Awesome deal!

So that’s how we got to Europe and back (and a one-way to Maui)! I hope you enjoyed reading my first post about my travel hobby. More to come…

Villefranche Sur Mer, French Riviera




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...