November 18, 2014

Halloween Parade 2014

New Englanders really love Halloween, I think it has something to do with the proximity to Salem. All that witch trial hysteria must still linger in the air but thankfully it's a little less let's-put-someone-on-trial and more let's-have-a-Halloween-parade.




Our friends live right at the beginning of the parade route so they invite a bunch of people to gather there for food and prime candy-grabbing real estate. The parade was over two hours long this year and the kids made quite the haul of candy.


I love parades. I mean I really love parades. I was in one every year at my grandparent's house on the 4th of July growing up. And seriously, who doesn't love seeing a string or assorted amusements walking by and throwing sweets at you. Can it get any better than that?




I always look forward to a few things at parades. First, is the Clydesdales. They are so beautiful and again remind me of childhood.



Next is the cars, people always shine up their classics, their souped up Harley's and even their tanks.







Then there are the bands. This parade had so many bagpipe groups! I guess parades are the only place they can play without annoying all of their neighbors to death. Marching bands from high schools near and far came to play and there was even a tiny fife and drum 4-H group.







The last thing I look forward to is the nerdy stuff. You don't get this in all parades- the 4th of July, for example- but there is sure a lot of it in a Halloween parade. Star Wars, Batmobile and the like.









All of our friends' kids had such a great time. When it was all said and done- and we were almost frozen to death- we went inside to sort the candy. Is there anything better than picking through a pile of candy that you just stood on the street and had thrown at you?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...