October 13, 2014

Miner's Vest

This Miner's Vest is my first attempt at making an article of clothing. I usually stick to baby blankets because they're small and square- easy peasy. When I came across this pattern on Etsy I thought it looked simple and modern. I rarely seen crocheted clothing that I actually want to make. Normally crocheted clothes look like something an old granny would wear. Well, not my grandma- she's way too cool for that- but you know what I mean.





This vest has the best of a lot of things. It's thick and chunky which makes it nice and warm but it doesn't have sleeves so when you slip it on under a coat it doesn't make you feel like Randy from the movie A Christmas Story (I can't put my arms down!). It's basically a giant cowl-neck, full-body scarf. I love it!









I love the way it looks under some leather, it's a good texture combination and it makes everything a little cozier.



And now a closer look at the vest itself. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease extra bulky yarn. It was about $7-8 per skein but if you look for it on sale or use a coupon you can get it for half that price. The pattern called for the biggest crochet hook I've ever seen- size Q! That, combined with the size of the yarn actually made this a really quick project.




Miners Vest Stats

Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Super Bulky
Number of Skeins: 4
Color: Charcoal
Hook: Q 15.75 mm & P 11.5 mm for edging
Pattern: Here


I have to give a big shout out to the Dr. for taking these pictures for me, I am an awkward model and he was very patient with me.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I am making this now and struggling with the Q size hook. It seems really big and the fabric in not dense? What brand Q hook did you use? thanks so much it's really cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I used this one from Boye brand.

      https://www.amazon.com/Boye-Jumbo-Plastic-Crochet-Sizes/dp/B00W8EZM1S/ref=sr_1_10?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1517944872&sr=1-10&keywords=size+q+crochet+hook

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...