October 16, 2014

Maui {Old Friends & Driving North}

Sunday in Maui was another trip down memory lane. They day had bookends of old friends. First, we went to church in the ward I attended when I lived here. I saw so many familiar faces, I was surprised that so many people were the same. I was hoping to see Reggie Puha and his lovely wife again. They are the ones that drove me to the other side of the island when I had my patriarchal blessing, they looked out for me and were my little cheering section. It was SO lovely to catch up with them again.


I also got to see my old Bishop who helped me make a plan to get myself off the island and on a mission. I saw friends who took me under their wing when we went to Kona for Temple trips, women I served with in the Primary presidency and the kids we taught who have now grown into adults. I was on the verge of tears a few times thinking back on how much these people impacted me.

After church we headed up to the north side of the island. It was a little rainy which is always nice in Hawaii, not only because it's warm but because it's usually sunny too. The most vibrant rainbow stretched across the sky and we saw right where it ended, just over this cliff right in the ocean.












We were headed for the blow hole on the coast. It's a bit of a hike from the road down over the black rocks to the edge of the cliff.





















The drive back was gorgeous as usual. We headed to Lahaina for some dinner at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. I worked here as a hostess for the first few months that I lived in Maui. Like everything else on the island it's still just the same as it was eight years ago. We got a great seat right by the window and ate a delicious dinner while I recounted my adventures there to the Dr. for the hundredth time.








When we walked into Bubba Gump this gal came right up to me and knew my name immediately. She's the cousin of the family I lived with while on the island! I couldn't believe my eyes! Cairene was only 8 last time I saw her and now she's graduated from high school and working at my old job. Time sure flies!

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are so beautiful! We went to that blowhole while we were there last Spring and I was sure one of my kids was going to fall in.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...