October 28, 2014

Turtle, Turtle!

When I came across the pattern for this baby turtle shell I could hardly wait to get my hands on a pattern, dig through my yarn stash and get going. I found a pattern on Etsy and dove into the project as soon as I got home from work. By bedtime I had finished the shell. I could not put this one down!


You make six pieces and then stitch them together to make the shell. The pattern is fairly simple, it's the same principle as making a granny square- you start in the middle and build layers for each tile. The hat is made with double strands of yarn so it comes together in no time too. I think it took me about 7-8 hours from start to finish (that includes time spent watching Dancing with the Stars which is always distracting).





I added a dainty purple pom pom at the last minute since this was for a little girl. I think it makes the whole thing look like something from a Dr. Seuss book. The shell turned out almost like a bowl, it's very rounded. I have seen other patterns where it turns out more flat, I'm not sure that there's a clear advantage to either style. I just know that this will look so cute draped over a baby all curled up and snoozing.




I was so sad to pack this thing up and let it go, I might have to make another one to put in my stash for future kids.

Turtle Shell Stats

Yarn Used: Lion Brand Pound of Love in light green (mint), Red Heart Soft in Deep Sea and White
Hook: J (6 mm) for shell, I (5.5 mm) for hat
Pattern: Here on Etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...