October 14, 2014

Maui {Back to the Island}

Going back to Maui was a little like coming home for me. When we stepped off the plane the palm trees greeted us along with the heat and humidity. 


I remember sitting on a little bench outside of the airport when I moved to Maui over 8 years ago, waiting for the only person I knew on the island to pick me up. As I waited in that very same spot for the Dr. to bring the rental car around I was flooded with memories. I grew so much on this little rock in the middle of the Pacific. Mother Maui took me in and my days there were vitally formative to my future.


We had a little bit of time to drive from Kahului to Lahaina before we could check in at the hotel. We grabbed a plate lunch and took our time along the winding road to the other side.



The first thing I showed the Dr. was where I lived all those years ago. I had the room on the right there at the top of the house. It was hot as Hades to be on the second floor facing west but I loved it anyway.


Our next stop was Wahikuli Beach Park. This was my beach. It's only two or three blocks from where I lived to this beach. Tourists never really go there because it's not near a big resort or the main part of Lahaina. I was the only person there most days. We finished our leftovers from lunch and enjoyed the view of Lanai, the palm trees and vacation.









The church building is right across the road from Wahikuli Beach. We used to sit in the chapel with the doors at the front open and watch the waves come during Sacrament meeting. They've since built a new chapel in Lahaina and the Tongan branch has this building now. I was asked to serve in the Primary presidency when I was in the Lahaina ward. I was over the Cub Scouts and I remember holding pack meetings on the lawn behind the building. We'd make bird feeders and neckerchief slides. I was glad to hear that the Cub Scout troop is still going strong in the ward.


We checked into our hotel- the Westin Maui Resort & Spa- and couldn't believe the view! The pool there is so amazing and it all sits right on the sand at Kaanapali beach. We threw on our swimming suits and headed for the sea. The water is unbelievably warm in Maui, it's like swimming in a bath. We enjoyed the sunset and warm sun on our faces.










Hunger called and we went down to Lahaina to get some food. We stopped in at Sunglass Pros, where I used to work, and said hello to my old boss Steve and coworker Stephanie. Such a blast from the past! We decided on eating at Cool Cats. My best friend Melanie's husband used to work at the bar there. Mel and I would get off of work and sit at his bar sipping virgin lava flows and eating Hula Sticks. For old times sake I had just that plus some french fries to dip in their heavenly ranch dressing. It was the perfect way to start the week- the beach and food.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...