October 20, 2014

Maui {Big Beach & I'oa Valley & My Filipino Family}

One Sunday, many years ago, my best friend Melanie and I drove from Lahaina to the south side of the island to Wailea and Makena. We were looking for beautiful beaches for Mel's wedding. We stopped at Big Beach that day and although it didn't end up being the wedding location we had a little adventure. Remember, Mel? 



Well, this time I went to Big Beach with the Dr. and we had a great time too! The shore breaks were so large that the lifeguards were continually blaring on their megaphone for everyone to stay out of the water if they didn't know how to handle the breaks. We had fun sitting in the soft, golden sand reading and watching a few brave souls skimboard.









A big old sea turtle washed up on the beach and the lifeguards made everyone get out of the water. You can't really see from the pictures but this poor guy was bleeding. They think he might have been bitten by a shark. He rested on the sand for a few minutes and then swam back out in the ocean.




Mel! I got this picture just for you- it's that thing when the waves are crashing and the wind is making the crest all misty and magical looking. I don't know if anyone else really cares about how amazing this looks but I love it!




I'oa Valley

I'oa Valley is so much the opposite of Lahaina side Maui. Lahaina gets a lot of Western sun and is pretty dry and dead looking in the summer. I'oa valley is so lush and green, there are papaya trees that smell amazing and a little river that flows down the mountainside. You can hike around the valley and see gardens full or exotic tropical plants. Historically, native Hawaiians would climb to the top of the needle as lookouts during battles. I don't know how they managed to get up those shear cliffs!



Most flattering picture of the trip award goes to...






My Filipino Family


We drove back to Lahaina for some dinner with the little family I used to rent a room from when I lived here. They are the cutest little family. When I left Maui their oldest daughter Hea had just turned 9 and their baby was 1. Now Hea is graduated from high school and on to college and Leilani is 9! Luz made the most amazing Filipino food- grilled teri kebabs with shrimp and steak, rice noodles and a big batch of lumpia. We brought some pies from Leoda's up in Olowalu- you need to stop there if you're ever in Maui! It was great to sit in their backyard and catch up.



 Oh my lands, I love these guys to bits!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you lived in Maui! These pictures of the beach are amazing. When I lived in Oahu the breaks at Waimea were usually like that as well - way too fierce for me to ever swim there unless it was low tide! Ah this makes me miss Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...