March 16, 2015

Inspiring Mothers {For English Mother's Day}

A few months ago (it was actually last summer now) I threw a barbecue with my party planning soul mate. As we were sitting out on her patio after our guest had gone home, she scooped her two boys up onto her lap. She talked about getting up with them in the middle of the night multiple times a week. There was something in her kids' eyes that showed their gratitude for this mother of theirs. They've probably never said thank you while she's cleaning up a nosebleed or soothing bad dreams but you could see it in their sparkling eyes and smiles as they snuggled up close to their mom.

As I sat there watching this scene I had a moment of clarity and gratitude for the examples of great mothers I have observed since moving to this side of the country. I have felt so lucky to see these inspiring women in action and glean knowledge and perspective from them.

Early last summer a group of ladies from our ward and I went to the beach in Gloucester. I rode out there with a new friend of mine. She was so patient and kind with her two small children. It took a lot of work and persistence to pack up those kids and drag the stroller through the hot sand but her smile never left her face.

On another occasion I watched a friend chase her toddler around the house as she pulled down everything she could get a hold of. This little one just discovered she is tall enough to reach the countertop and has been having a field day. In the midst of it all this mom was hosting a handful of guests and had whipped up a delicious spread. All with a smile and laugh (and a little exhaustion) in her eyes.

I am so glad for the moms who let me take care of their kids during the third hour of church. I know they think I am doing them a favor but I love being able to get my baby fix whether it's a tiny newborn or a squirming toddler. I love it all.

The past decade has been filled with wonderful women who've stepped into my life to mother and take care of me. Now I feel like I have women stepping into my life showing me how to be a mother. These gals show me exactly what motherhood is. It's messy and stressful, it's exhausting and frustrating but it's also joyful and exciting, fulfilling and humorous.

And for those assuming this is some sort of announcement, no, I am not. I just really like the moms I get to hang out with.

Now here is a picture of me with my two brothers just for fun.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making me cry. You are going to be an amazing mom some day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...