February 6, 2014

We went to DC to watch football & I saw the SPACE SHUTTLE!

The Dr. is a Seattle Seahawks fan.

It's kind of a big deal in our house.

 I never grew up watching sports on TV. I mean, every once in a while we'd put on a Jazz game when they were in the playoffs but that is about it. So when the Dr. and I started dating I was shocked that he wanted to spend a whole Saturday watching football. All. Day. Please keep in mind that we lived in Santa Barbara at the time and were never more than 5 minutes from a beach. Why were we not outside?!

Honey was very excited about this trip!

Anyway, this love of football and the Seahawks coupled with our desire to travel whenever we have a spare minute meant that we booked a ticket to Washington D.C. over the MLK holiday weekend. It was nice to get out of town and since we have been to D.C. before it was nice to hang out more than run around seeing all the sights.

We make one day a tourist day and went to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum at Dulles Airport. You guys, it was amazing! I didn't realized until we got there and were looking at the museum map that they have a SPACE SHUTTLE on display! I couldn't believe my eyes! It's been to SPACE! OUTER SPACE! It seriously blew my mind! Perhaps this picture will explain how excited I was:

Space Shuttle!
I got a fancy shmancy new camera a few days before the trip and took about a million pictures so get ready!

We saw the Enola Gay which is a specially designed plane that was built to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. That is such a significant part of our country's history and there she was, so still and shiny. Can you imagine the stories that plane could tell.




Someone sat in this cockpit and pushed a button to drop the Atomic Bomb.

I told you I took a lot of pictures...



This was one of my favorite planes, it's made of mahogany wood and the wings are covered in resin-drenched fabric.
How does this even fly!









This is the cutest plane ever!



That little turquoise baby up there just kills me!
The tiniest propeller ever!

This little wooden plane was so small! It looked like only a toddler could fit in the cockpit.
A tiny little helicopter. I like tiny things!

Once we worked our way through the planes we headed to the Space Shuttle Discovery. Remember how this has been in space?? It was much bigger than I imagined and we spend a good long time just basking in it's space aura.







Can you see where the atmosphere burned these little tiles. So amazing!

I just thought this was funny








Classic

The tiles on the tail end of the Shuttle are much more beat up because of the angle at which the Shuttle re-enters the atmosphere.






Space helmet



Again, classic
Can we just take a moment to look at this great guy:

So handsome, so smart and so fun to be with!

If you made it through all those pictures you must be some sort of superhero!

Did I mention that the real reason we came to DC was to watch a football game? It was exciting, nerve wracking, fist-clenching and very dramatic.  I love watching my husband with his best friend Bryan. They just slip back to this place in their early college days and it's pretty great to see.

There was:

Nerf guns

Buffalo wing cooking 

Pre-game show watching and nervous anticipation
Cheering!



Nervous lip-biting
Pretend excitement

Touch downs!


Sheer joy!


Praying?

Near loss of hope


So many pile ups

And finally, victory!


Serious happiness!

The Dr. and Bryan were ecstatic that the Seahawks won! I don't know if I have ever watched a more nerve wracking game of football. It was tense right down to the last minute. Although it may seem like a crazy thing to fly to another city to watch a football game on TV, I am glad we go the chance to go. I am so glad we have super duper friends!

And now one more picture of this sweet mug, because I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...