February 24, 2014

Intertwined

I was sitting at work this afternoon when my phone rang. I was surprised to see the caller ID come up as Sister Eyre. Most people would just call her Charity but she will always be Sister Eyre to me.


Sister Eyre and I served together as missionaries for 4 1/2 magical months in what we lovingly called the Armpit of the Bristol Stake. Trowbridge is a small town just outside of Bath, England. That town crushed out spirits many times but somehow it still holds a very special place in our hearts. There was so much sacrifice there, excruciating heartache, both sorrowful and happy tears and lots of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in our freezer. Our hearts became knit together in that little town and although we have gone our various ways, we will always be connected by our time there.

We literally stood at Heaven's Gate together
As much as we grew and stretched together as missionaries, the last few years have been even more transforming for each of us. It's been nearly 5 years since we returned home and she's now living in the Bay Area and I am in Boston. There's a lot changing in both of our lives, decisions to be made and plans to lay. It's funny how the transition stage of life never really ends. When you're in college you think graduating will solve all of your problems and make your future more clear, when you're single you think life will be so much easier if you were just married. When you're married you want to find your place in the world and settle there, but where is that place? What does settling look like and when do you move on to a new adventure?

Sister Eyre REALLY likes Christmas!
These choices have and always will be hard. But hard is okay. Hard is good. Hard makes us look back on our lives and feel accomplished and fulfilled. Hard things are a guarantee and they are rarely the same twice.

We are really tough, and tired. Mostly tired.
Whenever I feel like my life is too complicated or difficult I often think of my dear Sister Eyre and remember to be thankful for the toughness. And sometimes, when I really need it the most, she calls out of the blue and reminds me in her own gentle, humble words that there is so much golden goodness to enjoy.

As Sister Eyre drove down the warm, sunny California coast and I sat in my office looking out on a blizzard we agreed that life is good. You have to take the bitter with the sweet and choose to love the whole journey.

Thank you Sister Eyre, I needed that today!

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh i just randomly found this!!! sister jenks!!! it made my insides all fuzzy warm. i love you!! hey we are going to be in boston for new years. any chance you'll be around? i leave on the 5th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Eyre (Wright now!) we should be here in Boston for New Years, we don't have plans to go anywhere for Christmas. Let me know what your plans are and we will hang out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...