February 3, 2014

Sharp Chevron Crochet

When my best friend Jeanette had her second little baby (Bennett) I knew he needed a special little blankie. I saw a pin on Pinterest and knew I wanted to do something similar to the blue and mustard chevron on the bottom left of this picture. Plus, who doesn't love chevron right now?

Source
It was relatively easy to find a tutorial for a chevron stitch, they are all over YouTube. It actually took a while to track down the blog of the woman who was guest-posting on the blog where this picture appeared and then search through her archives to find a picture of her original version of this blanket. I sort of like that part of crochet- it's a mini adventure! I finally found the original post where this blanket appeared here. Check this lady out! She's amazing!



She used a slightly different pattern than I did (she has it linked in that post) and it looks great but I wanted my chevrons to be a little more pointy. I found this video on the YouTube channel New Stitch a Day. I highly recommend their tutorials, they are professional, clear and easy to follow.

For the life of me couldn't find a nice mustard yellow so I went with a slightly different color scheme as well.


My color pattern was a tricky to figure out but it went like this:

A--1
B--1
A--2
*B--1
C--1
B--2
C--1
D--1
C--2
D--1
A--1
D--2
A--1
B--1
A--2*
Repeat from *

In the pattern from New Stitch a Day it says to SC in multiples of 14 to start your blanket, each set making one point. I ended up SC 126 to start and the blanket was probably about 45 inches wide. I used a 6mm hook and Red Heart Soft yarn which comes in 5oz balls. I used 2 balls of each color and had some left over.


Here is Bennett all snuggled up in the finished product. This seriously makes me melt!

The Stats

Yarn: Red Heart Soft- 1 1/2 5oz balls of each color
Colors: Navy, gray, green, and light blue
Hook: 6mm
Starting chain: 126
Finished size: 45" x 40"

Orange and Mint (sort of)

I used this same stitch pattern and everything to make another blankie for a baby in our ward that is due in May. I was hoping to find a mint color to go with the orange and white but I couldn't find the right thing anywhere.






This one is a little smaller, I think I must have only SC 112 to start but it's still a great size for a little baby. The color pattern on this one was a bit easier to come up with. I knew the turquoise and orange would look weird right next to each other so I did two rows of white between each color. The colored sections are 5 rows each and there are three sections of each color. Again, I used Red Heart Soft yarn and went through the better part of 2-5oz balls of each color. I used my trusty 6mm hook again too.






The Stats

Yarn: Red Heart Soft
Colors: Orange, Teal and White.
Quantity: 1 1/2 5-oz balls of each color
Hook: 6mm
Beginning chain: 112
Finished size: 35" x 35"

This stitch is super easy to pick up and you can create so many different looks by mixing up the colors and patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...