February 6, 2014

My 28th



I feel like the older I get, the less exciting birthday's are. It could be that the high temperature on my birthday was 19* or that turning 28 is just one day closer to 30. I have a pretty irrational fear of turning 30.



I remember reading a piece my grandmother wrote in a creative writing classes years ago; the prompt was to write about one day in you life you would like to revisit and one you would never want to live again. The day she wrote about never wanting to go back to was her 30th birthday. I'm not sure why but that has always stuck with me. At 30 my grandma had seven kids, my grandpa was working for the railroad and they were trying to run a ranch. Later that year Gram became a freshman at Idaho State University. I think about those circumstances and all I see is a strong, driven woman who is on of my favorite people in the world. What was it about 30 that made her never want to see that day again?

30 freaks me out.

But 28 isn't so bad.

I love lasagna, I make it on my birthday quite frequently

The day sort of came and went without much hoopla. I made a lasagna and the couple that is living in our spare room (more on that later) made me an amazing chocolate cake.

It's been a crazy year. We've moved all the way across the country, the Dr. became a PhD, we both started new jobs, made new friends, traveled to all 4 corners of the country, the Caribbean and a few places in between. It's been a good one.

There's so much to look forward to this year too. We've already got plans to go to Europe and see a few concerts. We're excited to explore more of the East Coast, make even more friends here. Oh, and I am really excited for summer to come back.

Heather & Ryan making a cake for me





Me and my new toy

So Maybe 30 will be terrible, but for now I am going to enjoy 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...