January 6, 2014

Old Friends

Paul Revere and the Old North Church in the North End

A few weeks ago I got a Facebook message from an old friend of mine from my reenacting days. Yes, you read that right. She, her husband and I grew up doing reenactments, mostly Civil War and pioneer. She and her husband were both members of the Utah Fife and Drum Corp and our family sort of tagged along with them to many festivals and rendezvous. Our favorite was the Festival of the American West which sadly doesn't exist anymore.  It was a 10-day long celebration of everything that is the west- pioneers, mountain men, civil war out posts, Native Americans, good food, cowboy poetry and bluegrass music. Some of my earliest memories are of my reenacting adventures.

This dear friend of mine, Eden, mentioned that her husband James would be in Boston for a conference and asked if we would mind showing him around a bit. I love when people come to visit our city! I love the downtown area and I love exploring it with first timers.

We decided a little North End food was in order and we of course had to go to our favorite- Giacomo's. We've have been known to wait in line for two hours for their food before and I have to say that it is totally worth it every time! We were a little worried that we'd freeze to death if we had to wait in line that long again (thanks, polar vortex!) but when we arrived they had a table open just for us! I guess nobody else is stupid dedicated enough to go out in this weather. We also had to stop at Mike's Pastry after dinner because, well just look at these beauties!

Those Whoopie Pies down there are the best thing at Mike's Pastry



We had such a great time catching up! It's been about 10 years since I have seen James or his wife. Last time we hung out they had one little baby about a year old. Now they have 4 kids and that little baby is almost 11! They recently moved from out West to DC and I am so glad I know at least one more family on this coast. We talked about some of our favorite memories from the Festival- Dr. Quackenbush, String Fever, water fights, playing poker on Sunday afternoons, the Buffalo Soldiers, jam sessions and the band Blue Sage singing "the Scotsman". Old friends really are the best. I like all of our new friends here in Boston but there is just something nice about hanging out with people you have know ever since you can remember.

Come back again soon, James and bring the family next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...