September 17, 2014

Ward Camp

It was a swelteringly hot weekend for camping. At 80* with 90% humidity it was too hot to even sleep on top of my sleeping bag let alone in it. Nevertheless, our ward braved the heat and headed for New Hampshire.

I normally love a good campfire marshmallow roast but I could hardly stand within ten feet of fire. I tried to hire some of the kids in the ward to roast a nice golden mallow for me but that didn't work so well. They were waving burning sticks around like torches but I never got more than a lukewarm marshmallow.


All the young'ns stayed up till the wee hours of the morning playing a game they came up with called Man Hunt. I'm not sure what the rules were but it involved a lot of running through the brush with flashlights. I think that's what all good night games are like, right?


In the morning the humidity let up and a rope bridge had appeared between a few trees in the middle of the forest. Everyone lined up after breakfast for their turn to traverse the trail of ropes.








How is it possible for one kid to get this covered in soot and dirt? That's a skill I tell ya!


Then everyone got ready for a little time at the lake. Some of us are classier than others...



The dock provided a platform from which everyone was pushed into the lake. I lasted about 3 minutes before someone shoved me in. I organized a few of the kids and we pushed the Dr. in together. There were a few kayaks to paddle around in, the water was warm but cool at the same time and there was just enough sun.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...