April 29, 2015

Things Are Happening!

March 24, 2015

On my way home from work I picked up a pregnancy test at the corner Walgreens. We've done this a bunch of times before so I told myself this was just the routine and braced myself for another disappointment. Thomas pulled into the driveway just after I did and we puttered around the house a bit. He saw the box of tests and asked about it. No big deal, right?

As soon as I took the test the positive line started to appear. Strong and blue, sure enough. There it was. Something we've waited a long time for. I don't think I really felt anything at that moment. A little shock maybe but really I was pretty calm about it. I've kind of thought I was for a good couple of weeks but I've thought that before and methodically pushed those thoughts away this time too.

I called downstairs to Thomas, "Can you come here for a minute, Thomas?" He came to the bottom of the stairs and inquired what I needed. "Will you just come up here for a second, I need you to look at something." I walked back into the bathroom and emerged trying to hide the smile that would give it away. He looked at what I held, he looked at me, his eyes grew wide and so did his smile. A few tears gathered in the corners of his eyes and that's when they started gathering in mine too. He snapped a few pictures of me and us together. The three of us now. Three. Wow.


There is so much to be done around the house that we just got back to work. Every once in a while there was a pause where I would look at Thomas and mouth, "Whaaaaaaat?!"

We had 5 Guys Burgers for dinner with our roommates and went to the old apartment to clean. We came home and mopped our new floors, moved some furniture around and a friend came to help us patch the hole we tore in the wall attempting to hang curtains (new homes, am I right?)

I called my best friend and told her about our new house. She told me about a horrific trip they'd just taken to Austin with some family. It sounded pretty terrible but a story that will be told for years in their family. The whole time I was just trying to find the words to tell her. She and I have had a pact for years that she would be the first person I called when I found out. She's been the first person I've called when all those tests came up negative too. She's been so patient and encouraging. I took a deep breath, "Do you want to hear something kind of cool?" She replied in the affirmative. "I am... pregnant!" This was met with squeals and tears on both ends of the phone line. Is there anything better than telling your best friend they'll be an auntie soon? I imagine telling my grandma will be similarly satisfying.

I emailed my best friend who is all the way across the globe in Australia. She too has been a sounding board for much disappointment and frustration over the last year. Writing the words felt just as strange as saying them. I used an email chain we've been building back and forth this month about, well, farts frankly. I checked what time it was down under and knew I would probably wake up to an email back from her.

As I fell asleep I didn't really think too much about it. Apparently being pregnant takes a lot of energy and I slipped right into dreamland. I am sure there will be many sleepless nights both before and after the baby is born but that's okay.

This week is definitely one for the Reed Family history books. We bought a house, moved into it, found out we were expecting and are seeing my older brother get married on Friday. Maybe a little overwhelmed but oh, so happy right now!

April 1, 2015

Yesterday I went to the doctor to get a blood test and just confirm that I really am pregnant. This morning I got a call from them and they said I really, really am! About 5-6 weeks along which is exactly what I'd predicted. This is becoming more and more real every day. In some ways I don't think I am as worried or excited or all-consumed by it as I thought I would be. That's nice though, I want to just take things a little at a time and not get too crazy. I don't need to BUY ALL THE THINGS right now or make ALL THE DECISIONS this very minute. It's cool. We're cool. Everything is cool.

But sometimes I feel like this:

Liz Lemon Yay!

happy gif animated GIF

So I guess it's official- Baby Reed (we're calling it Blob for now) is coming in November!

2 comments:

  1. This is the best thing I've read today! What fantastic news! I know something of pregnancy/fertility struggles, and it makes news like this even more sweet. Congratulations! You are going to be that really fun Mom with the house everyone wants to hang out at. Have you been sick? Here's wishing you a smooth pregnancy. You deserve all these wonderful blessings that are coming to you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! That's so exciting :) I too had a year of negative tests and it was soo hard! So glad you get to experience the 'positive'!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...