April 21, 2015

Fringing a Blanket

I've talked about how much I detest weaving in the ends of yarn after I finish crocheting a blanket. I just do not have the patience for it. I feel like stripes are sort of my jam right now and that means I usually have way too many ends to even think about weaving in (shudders). 

As I was watching General Conference a few weeks ago I finished up a blanket and decided to add some thick fringe to it's edges to avoid the weaving. I snapped a few pictures of the process and though they might be helpful for someone out there trying to avoid the same fate as me.

Step 1: Tie each of the yarn ends to the one closest to it.


Step 2: do a quick single crochet along the edge of the blanket, pulling the tied colors through the top of each stitch. I usually pull them through all at once after I finish the row of SC. Crocheting this border helps the edge look more finished and gives you something to anchor the fringe tassels to.

Step 3: Cut your fringe. I usually wrap my yarn around a DVD case a bunch of times and then cut along one edge so that I have a whole pile of uniform length yarn pieces. This makes it so there is a lot less trimming in the end.


Step 4: Working from the back side of your blanket, take a small crochet hook and slip it into the stitch where your blanket yarn ends are coming through the line of SC you make in step 2. 


Step 5: Place three strands (or more, depending on how thick you want your fringe) of your pre-cut fringe around the hook and gently pull it through the stitch.


 Step 6: Once you have a loop pulled up, gather the fringe ends and the blanket yarns and pull them through the loop like this:



Pull tight and make sure that the knot is secure.


 ^^This is how your knot should look on the back side of your work^^


 ^^And this is how it will look on the front^^

Step 7: Trim up the edges to a uniform length once all the fringe is attached.


Step 8: Satisfyingly run your hands through the fringe, swish it around and show it to your husband exclaiming, "It's so fluffy and soft!" 


Do you have any strategies to avoiding weaving in ends? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...