July 2, 2014

Under the Table and Dreaming {DMB Concert}

Nineteen years ago my older brother Seth bought his very first cassette tape. It was Dave Matthews Band's Under the Table and Dreaming. We listened to that tape until the ends wore out. You know how that used to happen before CDs or digital music? Once that little cassette wore out we pooled our money and bought the same album on a CD. I still have that thing and you better believe we've almost worn it out. It's scratched up and has a crack but it still plays. Some of the songs. Sometimes.


This album cover is probably the reason that my favorite carnival ride is the spinning swings (Turn of the Century at Lagoon)

Five years ago, right after I got home from my mission, DMB was touring and I was flat broke. I convinced my brother Seth to buy us tickets for the show. A few weeks before the concert I moved to California and was once again flat broke, there was no way I could get back to Utah and I reluctantly mailed my ticket back to my brother. Unfortunately, Dave Matthews caught laryngitis and ended up cancelling his concert so Seth didn't get to go either.


A few months ago my brother called me up and wanted to come stay with us for a month or so. On a whim I checked to see if Dave Matthews Band would be playing anywhere here this summer. He was! There were two shows in Massachusetts and I snapped up three tickets without much hesitation.

As soon as the curtain went up and Dave took the stage a huge smile spread across my face. The first song was Two Step which was the one song Seth was hoping to hear above any others. We sang along at the top of our lungs,

Because life is short but sweet for certain


You guys! That is Dave down there! I fell asleep to him crooning Satellite almost every night for years!




He played two full sets totaling 24 songs, the first set was all acoustic and the second was electric. They played pretty much every song I wanted to hear- What would you say, Ants Marching, Funny the Way it Is, Don't Drink the Water, Smartest Monkey, Long Black Veil, You and Me, Wasting time, Where are you going.  I was seriously in heaven!


Thomas didn't know very many songs but I think he still had a great time



















This night was so magical! I felt a little bit like reliving childhood, being there with my big brother, singing along at the top of our lungs. 


When the band left the stage we all stayed {stayed, stayed for a while} and cheered for them to come out for a few more songs. Dave came out with just his guitar and sang Some Devil from his solo album. If there is anything sexier than Dave Matthew's singing this song I don't know what it is.

One last kiss, one only
Then I'll let you go
Hard for you
I've fallen
But you can't break my fall
I'm broken, don't break me
When I hit the ground




Dear Dave, 

Thanks for an amazing, dream-come-true, magical concert! Every song was perfect and I loved soaking it all in. I wish I could Stay {Wasting Time} with you and your band forever.

Your American Baby,

Sarah

P.S. I just found this music video on YouTube and it blew my mind a little, it's Frank from 30 Rock in a DMB music video. Two of my favorite worlds colliding... I can't handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...