April 21, 2014

Girly Dots & Dashes

I got a request to make a blanket for my cousin's new baby girl. I have a ton of cousins and we are all in the stage of life where babies abound. I wish I lived closer to all those cousins of mine and could squeeze the cheeks of their cute little ones. I love it when there are more babies than hands to hold them at family parties. I usually get barfed on by every kid I hold but it's a small price to pay for hanging out with those little angels.

Enough of my gushing about babies and on to the blanket...


I wanted to make something delicate and girly and I thought this pattern would look a little bit like lace if I did it right. I used the Lion Brand Pound of Love yarn and in purple, pink and cream. It ended up being just the right weight and the blanket came out so cozy! The texture was a little bit waffle-y, the rows almost overlap and it makes for a nice soft, squishy feel.


The pattern is from the Red Heart website and it's available here for free! I love free patterns. I have purchased a couple patterns recently and was very disappointed by one of them. I wouldn't have been so let down if it had been free but you live and learn right?

This was one of the first blankets I made where I carried they yarn up the sides rather than cutting it at the end of each row. I love that technique and use it whenever I can to make finishing a blanket a little easier- weaving in the ends after finishing a blanket is my very least favorite part! I talked a little about carrying the yarn up the sides in this post.

For the edging I did a few rounds of single crochets in the light pink but this would look great with a shell stitch or granny border too.


The best part of making these blankets is when I get to send them off and wait for pictures to come back. Check out this cutie enjoying her blanket:


Do you see what I mean about wanting to live closer so I can pinch those little cheeks? Oh my, what a cutie!

The Stats

Yarn: Lion Brand Pound of love- I used maybe half of each skein
Colors: Cream, Light Pink and Lavender
Hook size: 5mm or H
Starting chaing: ~100
Finished size: ~40 x 35

Let me know if you try out this pattern or if you have any questions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...