September 8, 2015

Katy is Back!

I have this totally awesome friend named Katy. I actually have a lot of totally awesome friends but for today we're talking about just Katy. She's been living in Korea and Australia for well over a year and just recently moved back to Utah. I am pretty sure I hadn't seen her for a while before she left for this grand adventure and I have been missing her something fierce.

When I got an email from her at the beginning of August saying she would be home in just a matter of days I jumped up and yelled across the house to Thomas, "Katy's coming baaaaaack!!" There was much excitement!

I debated flying into Utah on the same day she got back to surprise her at the airport but couldn't quite swing it. I had been talking with her mom and trying to figure out a way to surprise her but nothing was really coming together. 

Katy and Nic (her boyfriend) arrived home on Wednesday night. On Thursday morning after much deliberation Thomas and I decided to book plane tickets for the weekend. The funny thing is that Thomas wanted to go to Seattle for his grandma's 90th birthday celebration and I wanted to go to Utah. 

Flights were soon booked, bags were packed and we were off on our weekend adventures by Friday night.

We ended up having to tell Katy I was coming because we couldn't come up with a good enough lie to get her to the airport. She was still surprised when I told her I was coming and since it was such a quick decision she only found out about 24 hours before I arrived. 

Our first order of business was to head to In N Out where we met up with Hollie. The three of us were always up to some mischief when we all lived in Park City. Our time there only overlapped for a few short months but these girls became fast friends and have stayed true in the years since.


The next day we met up with Hollie and her two little girls for some lunch and Katy and I headed to Salt Lake with no real agenda. We found a great farmer's market in Pioneer Park and then headed for City Creek downtown. We ended up sitting on Temple Square in the shade for a couple hours just catching up. Katy and I have emailed quite a lot over the past year or so but there's something so much more connected about actually looking at someone and talking face to face. It was a perfect afternoon.



That night we ate dinner at Cafe Rio and I marvelled at the giant trucks everywhere. What is it with Utah and their ridiculous, lifted trucks? We hung out with Katy's mom Charlene and laughed harder than I have in quite a while. Oh man, I love that lady!

Me, Blob, giant truck and a cup of pebble ice

Katy and I attended her parent's ward on Sunday, I think she was sorely missed there as well. So many people were excited to see her and hear about her time in Korea and Australia. In the afternoon we headed up the canyon with her family for a little BBQ. Before I knew it we were leaving for the airport and my 48 hours with Katy were over. 

Thomas and I met up in LA for the long leg of our return flight home and caught each other up on the weekend. We both agreed that it was a very good choice to go even though it was so short.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...